Teacher - Music (SA)

State/Territory Specific Information

Education and Training:

To become a music teacher you usually have to complete a degree in education, specialising in music or performing arts. Alternatively, you can undertake a music degree or an arts degree majoring in music, followed by a postgraduate qualification in education or teaching.

To get into the degree courses you usually need to gain your SACE and have AMEB qualifications. Prerequisite subjects, or assumed knowledge, in one or more of English, mathematics and music are normally required. Applicants may also be required to submit a folio, attend an audition or interview, or complete a music theory proficiency test. A number of universities in Australia offer degrees in these areas. Universities have different prerequisites and some have flexible entry requirements. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information as requirements may change.

Entry to postgraduate courses usually requires completion of an appropriate bachelor degree. A number of universities in Australia offer postgraduate courses in education and teaching. They may be available by distance education. Contact Open Universities Australia or the universities you are interested in for more information as requirements may change.

No formal qualifications are required to be a private music teacher, but they may be an advantage. Membership (and possibly accreditation) of the Music Teachers Association of South Australia may also be an advantage.

Additional Information:

Before undertaking practical placements required by courses, students will need to undergo a screening assessment through the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (SA). A National Police Certificate may also be required. Contact the institutions you are interested in for more information.

Teaching in schools in SA requires registration with the Teachers Registration Board of South Australia. Contact the board for details.

Some people who have reached a certain level of musical competence set themselves up as private music teachers, even if they have not completed a training course.

Teachers are required by mandatory reporting laws to report suspected cases of child abuse or neglect and proof of mandatory notification training is required in order to be eligible for registration. Contact the Department for Education and Child Development for more information.

Related Courses:

While the following courses are related to this occupation, they may not necessarily lead directly to employment, nor provide the most direct pathway to the occupation. Courses which provide preliminary or informal training, as well as those which provide additional job skills following initial qualifications may also be listed.

*Course is offered by more than one institution. Click link for details.

  1. Graduate Diploma of Music - Performance
  2. Graduate Diploma of Music - Performance and Pedagogy
  3. Master of Music - Performance and Pedagogy

Employment Opportunities:

Employment opportunities for school-based teachers may arise in government and non-government schools, and overseas. Demand for this occupation is mainly dependent on government funding, as well as teacher resignation and retirement rates. Opportunities may be enhanced for teachers willing to work in remote or rural locations.

Opportunities for private music teachers depend on the ability of families to pay the fees and teachers' ability to promote their services.

Music teachers may teach groups of students ranging from pre-school through to tertiary level, or work with individual students. Employment opportunities are enhanced for those music teachers who keep up to date with instrumental technology and sound reinforcement systems.

For Further Information:

Department for Education and Child Development (SA)

1800 088 158

Music Teachers' Association of South Australia

(08) 8234 5952

Teachers Registration Board of South Australia

(08) 8226 2666

Information for other states and territories: