Probation and Parole Officer (TAS)

State/Territory Specific Information

Education and Training:

You can work as a probation and parole officer without formal qualifications. You will probably get some informal training on the job. Entry to this occupation may be improved if you have qualifications. You may like to consider a VET qualification in community services work, counselling or a related field. As subjects and prerequisites can vary between institutions, you should contact your chosen institution for further information.

You can also become a probation and parole officer by studying behavioural science, social work, social science, criminology, justice studies or psychology at university. To get into these courses you usually need to gain your TCE. Prerequisite subjects, or assumed knowledge, in one or more of English and mathematics are normally required. Most universities in Australia offer degrees in these areas. Universities have different prerequisites and some have flexible entry requirements or offer external study. Contact Open Universities Australia or the universities you are interested in for more information as requirements may change.

Additional Information:

You must undergo a National Police Check to become a probation and parole officer.

Related Courses:

While the following courses are related to this occupation, they may not necessarily lead directly to employment, nor provide the most direct pathway to the occupation. Courses which provide preliminary or informal training, as well as those which provide additional job skills following initial qualifications may also be listed.

*Course is offered by more than one institution. Click link for details.

There are no courses currently linked to this job for this state/territory. Please try another state/territory.

Employment Opportunities:

In Tasmania, probation and parole officers are employed by the Department of Justice. They mainly work in probation and parole offices.

For Further Information:

Community Corrections Service (TAS)

(03) 6165 6700

Information for other states and territories: