Plasterer (VIC)

State/Territory Specific Information

Education and Training:

To become a plasterer you usually have to complete an apprenticeship in Wall and Ceiling Lining or Solid Plastering. Entry requirements may vary, but employers generally require Year 10. Ask your career adviser about the possibility of starting some of this training in school.

Additional Information:

In Victoria, plasterers must either be accredited as, or work under the supervision of, a registered building practitioner. Contact the Victorian Building Authority ( for more information.

When working at heights, industry standards require plasterers to hold a licence to Perform High Risk Work issued by WorkSafe Victoria. To gain a licence to Perform High Risk Work, you will need to register with an approved Registered Training Organisation and work under the supervision of a licensed operator, and keep an approved logbook to record competencies achieved during training. Assessment by an independent assessor will then be required. To obtain a licence to Perform High Risk Work you must be at least 18 years of age.

All those who work in the construction industry must undergo safety induction training and be issued with a Construction Induction Card (CIC). In Victoria, training is conducted by Registered Training Organisations authorised by WorkSafe Victoria.

Contact WorkSafe Victoria for details of Registered Training Organisations authorised to deliver training and assessment.

Once you are employed, you may be able to develop, and have recognised, additional skills under the Construction, Plumbing and Services Training Package that will expand your career opportunities within this industry.

Related Courses:

While the following courses are related to this occupation, they may not necessarily lead directly to employment, nor provide the most direct pathway to the occupation. Courses which provide preliminary or informal training, as well as those which provide additional job skills following initial qualifications may also be listed.

*Course is offered by more than one institution. Click link for details.

  1. Certificate II in Building and Construction *
  2. Certificate II in Building and Construction - Wall and Ceiling Lining *
  3. Certificate III in Fibrous Plastering - Shopwork
  4. Certificate III in Solid Plastering *
  5. Certificate III in Wall and Ceiling Lining *

Employment Opportunities:

Plasterers are employed by plastering subcontracting firms, building and construction companies, and businesses that manufacture plaster products. Many plasterers are self-employed and work on a subcontract basis. The demand for plasterers depends on activity in the building industry, in particular the housing sector.

Trade qualifications are sought after, but are not essential. Demand is subject to changes in building activity. Qualified tradespeople are less likely to be affected by downturns in demand.

For Further Information:

Association of Wall and Ceiling Industries Victoria

(03) 9553 6363

Housing Industry Association (VIC)

(03) 9280 8200

Master Builders Association of Victoria

(03) 9411 4555

Victorian WorkCover Authority

1300 852 562

Information for other states and territories: