Wall and Ceiling Liner (SA)

State/Territory Specific Information

Education and Training:

To become a wall and ceiling liner you usually have to complete an apprenticeship in Wall and Ceiling Lining. Entry requirements may vary, but employers generally require Year 10. Ask your career adviser about the possibility of starting some of this training in school.

Additional Information:

In SA, wall and ceiling liners must either hold, or work under someone who holds, a valid building contractor's licence issued by Consumer and Business Services (SA). To be registered you must have completed training and have work relevant industry experience detailed in a logbook. See www.cbs.sa.gov.au for more information.

When working at heights, industry standards require wall and ceiling liners to obtain a licence to Perform High Risk Work issued by SafeWork SA. To gain a licence, you will need to complete units of competency at an approved Registered Training Organisation and work under the supervision of a licensed operator. You will also need to keep an approved logbook to record competencies achieved during training. Assessment by an accredited assessor will then be required. The Perform High Risk Work Licence is issued under the National Standard for Licensing Persons Performing High Risk Work.

You must be 18 years of age to be eligible to obtain a Perform High Risk Work Licence. However, training may commence at a younger age.

All those who work in the construction industry must undergo safety induction training and be issued with a Construction Induction Card (CIC). In SA, training is conducted by Registered Training Organisations authorised by SafeWork SA.

Once you are employed, you may be able to develop, and have recognised, additional skills under the Construction, Plumbing and Services Training Package that will expand your career opportunities within this industry.

Related Courses:

While the following courses are related to this occupation, they may not necessarily lead directly to employment, nor provide the most direct pathway to the occupation. Courses which provide preliminary or informal training, as well as those which provide additional job skills following initial qualifications may also be listed.

*Course is offered by more than one institution. Click link for details.

  1. Certificate III in Wall and Ceiling Lining *

Employment Opportunities:

Wall and ceiling liners are employed by plastering subcontracting firms, building and construction companies, and businesses that manufacture plaster products. Many wall and ceiling liners are self-employed and work on a subcontract basis. The demand for wall and ceiling liners depends on activity in the building industry, particularly in the housing sector.

Trade qualifications are sought after, but are not essential. Demand is subject to changes in building activity. Qualified tradespeople are less likely to be affected by downturns in demand.

For Further Information:

Association of Wall and Ceiling Industries South Australia (SA/NT)

(08) 8440 2438

Construction and Property Services Industry Skills Council

(02) 6253 0002

Construction Industry Training Board (SA)

(08) 8172 9500

Information for other states and territories: