Park Ranger (TAS)

State/Territory Specific Information

Education and Training:

You can work as a park ranger without formal qualifications. You will probably get some informal training on the job. Entry to this occupation may be improved if you have qualifications and/or work experience. You may like to consider a VET qualification in conservation and land management or lands, parks and wildlife. As subjects and prerequisites can vary between institutions, you should contact your chosen institution for further information.

You can also become a park ranger through a traineeship in Conservation and Land Management or Lands, Parks and Wildlife. Entry requirements may vary, but employers generally require Year 10. Ask your career adviser about the possibility of starting some of this training in school.

Alternatively, you can become a park ranger by completing a degree at university in a relevant discipline such as botany, environmental science, environmental management or geography. To get into these courses you usually need to gain your TCE. Prerequisite subjects, or assumed knowledge, in one or more of English, mathematics, chemistry and physics are normally required. Most universities in Australia offer degrees in these areas. Universities have different prerequisites and some have flexible entry requirements or offer external study. Contact Open Universities Australia or the universities you are interested in for more information as requirements may change.

Additional Information:

Once employed, rangers often receive training in wildlife handling, fire management, weed eradication, pest control and enforcement.

Related Courses:

While the following courses are related to this occupation, they may not necessarily lead directly to employment, nor provide the most direct pathway to the occupation. Courses which provide preliminary or informal training, as well as those which provide additional job skills following initial qualifications may also be listed.

*Course is offered by more than one institution. Click link for details.

  1. Diploma of Conservation and Land Management (10)
  2. Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Laws

Employment Opportunities:

Park rangers are mainly employed by government agencies. Competition for positions is strong, and employers usually require applicants to have some park or nature-orientated experience.

Some park rangers move between states and into forest officer, fisheries officer or land protection officer positions. Opportunities may also be available to work as conservation officers with local councils.

With experience, and sometimes further training, park rangers may progress to professional science positions or general management.

For Further Information:

Parks and Wildlife Service Tasmania

1300 827 727

Information for other states and territories: