Aged Care Worker
Aged care workers provide care, supervision and support for aged people in residential establishments, clinics, hospitals and private residence. Aged care workers assist with the maintenance of personal care, domestic duties and management of illness. They also provide companionship and emotional support, and promote independence and community participation.
Aged care workers may perform the following tasks:
- assist people with self-medication
- implement care programmes for those in residential establishments
- provide in-home support with health issues and daily living tasks such as washing, dressing, eating, transport and budgeting
- assist with the delivery of activities to enhance the physical, social, emotional and intellectual development of those in their care
- ensure those in their care are washed, dressed, fed and ready for educational and recreational activities
- assist during domestic activities such as eating meals and showering
- provide companionship and support during daily activities
- cook and serve meals, clean premises, wash, iron and perform other household tasks
- organise refuge accommodation
- implement appropriate strategies for managing problems related to dementia
- work with a team of health professionals, family, friends and carers to implement a programme of support.
Aged care workers work in private homes and community establishments. They may be required to work evenings, weekends and public holidays and may be required to live on the premises. Some positions may be casual.
- patient, flexible and understanding
- supportive and caring nature
- commitment to the rights of the elderly to live dignified lives
- able to accept responsibility
- good communication skills
- able to work as part of a team
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- able to perform domestic duties efficiently.
- Disability Services Instructor
- Disability Support Worker
- Diversional Therapist
- Nurse - Enrolled
- Social Worker
- Welfare Worker
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: