Youth Worker

State/Territory Specific Information

Youth workers work with and support young people, either individually or in groups, by developing and facilitating programmes that address social, behavioural, welfare, developmental and protection needs.

Youth workers may perform the following tasks:


Accommodation Worker

An accommodation worker assists young people living in supported accommodation environments, including crisis services, hostels, shared housing and independent accommodation.

Detached (Street Based) Youth Worker

A detached (street based) youth worker builds working relationships with young people in public spaces such as parks, shopping centres or on the streets. Young people are then provided with information and support to meet their needs.

Drug and Alcohol Worker

A drug and alcohol worker provides support to young people looking to decrease or stop using drugs and alcohol when it becomes a problem for them. They may work in rehabilitation centres, counselling services, health services or in other community settings.

Family Support Worker

A family support worker works with families experiencing financial, relationship or other difficulties. They offer practical help, emotional support and advice about coping strategies, so as to allow children to stay with their families rather than be placed under the care of the state.

Youth workers work in a variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, corrective institutions, youth refuges, community centres and organisations such as Scouts, Guides, YWCA and YMCA. They also work in places where young people congregate, including shopping centres, parks and reserves. Youth workers often work unsupervised and much of their work takes place outside normal hours.

Personal Requirements:

Related Jobs:

Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information

Select the State/Territory you are interested in: