Vehicle Trimmer (WA)

State/Territory Specific Information

Education and Training:

To become a vehicle trimmer you usually have to complete an apprenticeship or traineeship in Automotive Body Repair Technology or Automotive and Marine Trimming Technology. Entry requirements may vary, but employers generally require Year 10. Ask your career adviser about the possibility of starting some of this training in school.

Additional Information:

To work as a vehicle trimmer in WA, you will need to obtain, or work under the supervision of someone who holds, a Motor Vehicle Repairer's Certificate. This certificate can be obtained from the Commissioner for Consumer Protection, part of the Department of Commerce. Visit their website for more information.

Related Courses:

While the following courses are related to this occupation, they may not necessarily lead directly to employment, nor provide the most direct pathway to the occupation. Courses which provide preliminary or informal training, as well as those which provide additional job skills following initial qualifications may also be listed.

*Course is offered by more than one institution. Click link for details.

  1. Certificate II in Automotive Body Repair Technology
  2. Certificate III in Automotive Vehicle Body *

Employment Opportunities:

Vehicle trimmers work for specialist trimming firms, crash repair firms, car manufacturers and distributors, and other firms that repair or construct automotive vehicles, aircraft or marine craft. It is common for vehicle trimmers to become self-employed due to the relatively low cost of setting up a workshop. Others may work on a subcontract basis.

For Further Information:

Department of Commerce, Commissioner for Consumer Protection

1300 304 064

Engineering and Automotive Training Council Inc.

(08) 9201 2999

MTA WA's Automotive Institute of Technology

(08) 9233 9800

Information for other states and territories: