Pastrycooks mix, bake, fill, ice and decorate all kinds of cakes and pastries.
Pastrycooks may perform the following tasks:
- weigh, mix or knead, mould and shape mixture before baking
- load and unload mixture into ovens using tins and trays
- operate and monitor baking equipment
- glaze or decorate with icing or cream
- order baking supplies from wholesalers
- check and maintain the cleanliness of equipment and utensils to make sure health and safety regulations are met
- work with chocolate to create decorations
- serve customers.
Pastrycooks may specialise as chocolatiers, patissiers, ice carvers, sculptors and festive cake decorators.
Pastrycooks stand most of the day. They may work broken shifts at night or on weekends and public holidays. Pastrycooks must be prepared to start work early in the morning. Conditions in the bakery are usually hot and humid.
- enjoy practical work
- good hand-eye coordination
- artistic and creative
- good health, with no skin allergies or chronic chest complaints
- clean and tidy
- good literacy and numeracy skills
- good organisational skills.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: