Natural therapists specialise in a range of complementary and alternative medical techniques and remedies (including homeopathy, herbalism and aromatherapy), which they use to diagnose, treat and prevent physical illness or dysfunction.
Natural therapists may perform the following tasks:
- analyse patients' eating habits and develop personalised nutrition plans
- prescribe natural medicines such as herbal remedies, vitamin compounds and mineral supplements
- use organic techniques to stimulate the body's capacity for self-healing
- examine the iris (the coloured part of the eye) to analyse and treat illness in various organs of the body (known as iridology).
An aromatherapist blends therapeutic plant oils, including essential oils, and uses methods such as topical application, massage and inhalation to promote psychological and physical wellbeing.
A herbalist prescribes and prepares natural remedies specific to their clients' health profiles, using plants and plant parts. These remedies can take the form of tablets, capsules, teas, tinctures, extracts, essential oils (aromatherapy) and other herbal preparations.
A homeopath prescribes medicines and therapeutic measures to assist the natural tendency of the body to heal itself. A homeopath takes into account the individual's whole physical and emotional environment as well as the specific symptoms of illness.
A kinesiologist uses non-invasive muscle monitoring to evaluate imbalances in the body's nervous system and energy systems and employs muscle-testing techniques to restore and promote overall health and wellbeing.
A naturopath provides holistic remedies for physical ailments by assessing the client's lifestyle, including mental, emotional, nutritional and physical habits. They prescribe necessary changes (as well as herbal and natural medicines) to encourage the maintenance of a lifestyle that supports health and wellbeing.
- desire to help people achieve good health
- committed to promoting complementary and alternative medicine as a complement to conventional medical treatments
- a mature and confident personality
- good communication skills.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: