Marine surveyors carry out inspections of passenger and cargo ships, commercial charter craft, fishing vessels, recreational craft and yachts.
Marine surveyors may perform the following tasks:
- examine and approve design plans of hulls and equipment, such as main propulsion engines, auxiliary boilers and turbines, electrical power generating plant, refrigeration and air conditioning plant and pumping systems
- inspect standards of construction and witness tests of materials
- inspect hulls, machinery and equipment during ship construction to ensure standards and legislative requirements are met
- conduct surveys throughout the ship's life to ensure standards are maintained
- perform inspections required by domestic statutes and international conventions
- witness tests and operation of emergency and safety machinery and equipment
- measure ships for tonnage and survey them for load line assignment
- attend court as an expert witness and assist with coronial enquiries
- investigate marine accidents.
Classification Society Marine Surveyor
A classification society marine surveyor inspects ships, components and machinery to ensure they are built according to the standards required for their class, and examines accident damage.
Government Marine Surveyor
A government marine surveyor inspects ships, components and machinery to ensure they meet crew and passenger safety regulations and construction standards. They may also assess and approve safety reports and plans, and examine candidates for certificates of competency.
Private Marine Surveyor
A private marine surveyor examines ships and their cargoes, investigates accidents in port and at sea (oil spillages, for example) and prepares accident reports for insurance purposes.
- enjoy the sea and maritime activities
- an inquisitive mind with attention to detail
- good written communication skills
- aptitude for using computers
- able to work with a variety of people.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: