Machine Operator (Non-metal Products)
Machine operators in non-metallic mineral products industries operate plant machinery and equipment to produce ceramic, clay, glass and concrete products such as bricks, tiles, pottery, cement, lime, paving blocks and glassware.
Machine operators (non-metal products) may perform the following tasks:
- weigh, measure and mix ingredients
- clean plant areas
- clean and lubricate equipment
- operate machines to combine and process ingredients or finish products
- monitor machine operations and adjust pressure, temperature, tension and other controls to ensure products match specifications
- collect samples for laboratory analysis
- measure and test products
- weigh and package products.
Clay, Concrete and Stone Machine Operator
A clay, concrete and stone machine operator uses machines to manufacture bricks, tiles, pipes, building blocks, railway sleepers, structural beams, facing stones, porcelain, pottery ware, cement, concrete and cast products.
Glass Production Worker
A glass production worker operates and controls machines to make molten glass, and presses or blows it into moulds to form or shape glassware products, such as bottles, jars and drinking glasses. They may also make insulation and fibreglass products.
Kiln Operator - Ceramics
A kiln operator - ceramics uses kilns or ovens to fire ceramics. They control the temperature, heating times and ventilation in the kilns and may also carry out inspections of the equipment to maintain performance.
Machine operators may work in areas that are hot and noisy. They have to wear protective clothing and may have to work shifts.
- enjoy practical and manual work
- aptitude for problem-solving
- mechanical aptitude
- able to multi-task
- able to work as part of a team
- Chemical Plant Operator
- Heat Treater
- Mineral Processing Operator
- Power Generation Plant Operator
- Process Plant Operator (Oil and Gas)
- Rubber Processor
- Wood Machinist
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: