Industrial Textiles Fabricator
Industrial textiles fabricators lay out, cut, assemble and repair products made of various textiles, including canvas and synthetic fabric. They produce awnings, tents, annexes, tarpaulins, horse rugs, vehicle covers, shade cloths, bags, rucksacks, boat covers, banners, pool covers and yacht sails.
Industrial textiles fabricators may perform the following tasks:
- consult with customers to establish design specifications
- produce patterns according to the specifications of technical drawings and designs
- select, measure and mark out material
- cut material to shape with shears or power cutters
- set up and maintain industrial sewing machines
- sew pieces of fabric together by hand or using light or industrial sewing machines
- hem articles, inserting rope if required, and attach eyelets, grommets, zippers, buckles, straps and other fasteners
- attach ropes to products using hand tools
- treat material for water and rot proofing
- operate high frequency and hot air welding equipment if handling PVC material
- make and repair sails for yachts from canvas and synthetic materials.
- enjoy practical and manual work
- good hand-eye coordination
- good concentration
- knowledge and understanding of mathematics.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: