Home economists teach, inform and advise government, industry and the community in order to assist individuals to make better lifestyle choices.
Home economists may perform the following tasks:
- educate the community about aspects of everyday living, such as family, interpersonal relationships, food, nutrition and leading a balanced lifestyle
- teach independent living skills to school students and disabled or disadvantaged people
- assist people to take control of their health, develop healthy behaviours and make informed consumer decisions
- design, evaluate and promote products, such as foods and household appliances, or services for everyday living
- design and plan nutritious meals and assist people to prepare them.
Community Health Home Economist
A community health home economist undertakes a range of home economic activities in the public sector, such as providing information services about financial management, family relationships, child care, food and nutrition, and household management. They may also manage food service operations such as canteens, aged-care centres and community food facilities and develop programs and policies for health and social services.
A consumer scientist measures and interprets consumer needs and preferences, making sure that these are taken into account in the design, production, delivery and use of products and services.
Home Economics Teacher
A home economics teacher teaches students the skills required to understand and deal with a variety of issues in their personal, home, family and community lives. These skills are taught through a variety of topics, such as food and nutrition, textiles and clothing, vocational skills and knowledge, and family and interpersonal relationships.
- consideration for others and sense of social justice
- good human resource management skills
- good oral and written communication skills
- aptitude for analysis and problem-solving
- aptitude for design and creativity
- sensitivity when dealing with a wide range of people and issues.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: