Exhaust Fitter and Repairer (WA)

State/Territory Specific Information

Education and Training:

To become an exhaust fitter and repairer you usually have to complete a traineeship in Automotive Exhaust System Technology. Entry requirements may vary, but employers generally require Year 10. Ask your career adviser about the possibility of starting some of this training in school.

Additional Information:

To work as an exhaust fitter and repairer in WA, you will need to obtain, or work under the supervision of someone who holds, a Motor Vehicle Repairer's Certificate. This certificate can be obtained from the Commissioner for Consumer Protection at the Department of Commerce (WA). Visit their website for more information.

A National Police Certificate is required to gain a Motor Vehicle Repairer's Certificate.

Once you are employed, you may be able to develop, and have recognised, additional skills under the Automotive Industry Retail, Service and Repair Training Package that will expand your career opportunities within this industry.

It is useful for exhaust fitters and repairers to hold a drivers licence.

Related Courses:

While the following courses are related to this occupation, they may not necessarily lead directly to employment, nor provide the most direct pathway to the occupation. Courses which provide preliminary or informal training, as well as those which provide additional job skills following initial qualifications may also be listed.

*Course is offered by more than one institution. Click link for details.

  1. Certificate II in Automotive Mechanical *

Employment Opportunities:

Exhaust fitters and repairers work mainly for small specialist exhaust and muffler repair companies. Some of these firms may also be involved with tyre sales and fitting, as well as other mechanical services.

For Further Information:

Commissioner for Consumer Protection, Department of Commerce (WA)

1300 304 064

Engineering and Automotive Training Council Inc.

(08) 9201 2999

MTA WA's Automotive Institute of Technology

(08) 9233 9800

Information for other states and territories: