Computer engineers are involved in the installation, repair and servicing of computers and associated equipment. They may sometimes be described as information technology (IT) hardware technicians, service engineers or computer systems engineers.
Computer engineers may perform the following tasks:
- devise and undertake a regular service program, including support of operating systems
- analyse problems and develop and implement solutions
- provide input on matters associated with site preparation and installation of large computer systems
- install cables for computer networks
- assist staff in establishing the computer hardware and associated equipment required to run IT systems
- manage projects and supervise staff (in senior computer engineering roles).
Hardware Design Engineer
A hardware design engineer plans, designs, constructs and maintains the hardware equipment of computers. They may also monitor the development of hardware according to design and carry out repairs and testing of computer equipment.
A network/systems engineer designs, installs, analyses and implements computer systems/networks. They may also make sure that the existing network is effective and work out how it should evolve to meet new requirements of the organisation or business.
A software engineer creates, maintains and modifies computer and software programs such as business programs, games, operating systems, communications software, utility programs, compilers and database handlers. They may also evaluate new programming tools and techniques and analyse current software products.
- able to understand and communicate with a wide variety of people
- able to work as part of a team
- logical approach to work
- self-reliant and able to work independently
- active interest in maintaining technical skills and knowledge
- able to investigate, identify and solve problems quickly and efficiently
- enjoy electronics, computers and electro-mechanical equipment
- good customer service skills
- able to make informed decisions on a wide range of complex business and technical issues.
- Army Officer
- Electrical Engineer
- Electrical or Electronics Engineering Technologist
- Electronics Engineer
- Information Technology Administrator
- Systems Designer (Information Technology)
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: