Cardiac technologists provide technical services for the investigation, diagnosis and treatment of heart disease. As part of the cardiology team, cardiac technologists operate a range of specialist equipment, which provides data that cardiologists and other medical practitioners use for patient care.
Cardiac technologists may perform the following tasks:
- electrocardiography (ECG) - recording the electrical activity of the heart, from which the heart rate is measured and its pattern and rhythm are interpreted
- ambulatory monitoring - fitting a portable ECG monitor to record the ECG over a 24-hour period, and replaying and analysing the tape on a computerised system
- exercise ECG stress testing - assessing a patient's cardiac response to exercise using a treadmill or stationary bicycle and ECG recording
- pacemaker implant testing - testing and, if necessary, reprogramming implanted cardiac pacemakers with computerised equipment
- cardiac catheterisation - monitoring and recording ECG and blood pressure data during interventional procedures
- electrophysiology studies - using computerised systems to record ECG data from within the heart in order to diagnose and treat abnormal heart rhythms
- echocardiography - operating ultrasound equipment to scan the heart from the chest wall, obtaining and measuring images of the heart to assess blood flow and valve abnormalities
- cardiac research - studying the effects of cardiovascular drugs and diseases using many of the above techniques.
Cardiac technologists may be required to be on call.
- careful and analytical approach to work
- sympathetic, supportive and professional approach to patients
- ability to follow safety guidelines
- good communication skills
- commitment to ongoing professional development
- able to work as part of a team.
- Anaesthetic Technician
- Medical Imaging Technologist
- Medical Scientist
- Nuclear Medicine Technologist
- Operating Theatre Technician
- Radiation Therapist
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: