Bus drivers transport passengers over established or special routes and on chartered journeys or tours.
Bus drivers may perform the following tasks:
- stop at designated locations to pick up or set down passengers
- adhere to set bus timetables and routes
- open and close doors before and after passengers board or alight
- control lighting, heating and ventilation on buses
- collect fares, give change and issue tickets
- advise passengers on destinations
- use a public address (PA) system to provide information or tour commentaries to passengers.
Charter Services Driver
A charter services driver drives a group of people (for example, a community club) to a particular destination. The bus is usually hired for a fee and individual passengers do not pay fares to the driver.
Coach Tour Driver
A coach tour driver drives tour buses to tourist sites or provides long-distance services between towns. Their tasks may include researching routes; planning food and toilet stops; providing commentary on the history, culture and industry of particular locations; conducting inspections; and performing minor maintenance of the coach.
School Services Driver
A school services driver transports school children between home and school, collects fares and checks that travel passes comply with school routes. School services drivers may be required to pass a national Working with Children Check prior to commencing employment.
A tram driver drives trams over established routes to transport passengers on urban tramway systems. Their tasks may include operating controls to change the direction of a tram, negotiating traffic, advising passengers on routes and stops, and stopping at set locations to allow passengers to board and disembark.
Bus drivers are required to wear uniforms and must be willing to work shifts. Contact with the public is an important part of the job.
- courteous and helpful when dealing with the public
- able to pass a company or government medical examination that includes eyesight and colour vision tests
- responsible attitude.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: