Animal attendants provide food, water and care for animals.
Animal attendants may perform the following tasks:
- prepare food (including special diets) and deliver food and water to animals
- clean and prepare comfortable sleeping quarters for animals
- clear away animal waste; clean, disinfect and maintain animal enclosures and cages; and check locks
- bathe and groom animals, and treat them with insecticide to control insect pests
- treat minor injuries and report serious health problems to veterinarians
- administer basic medications as directed by veterinarians
- transfer animals between enclosures
- assist with animal behavioural assessments and behaviour modification
- rescue injured and neglected animals
- assist with euthanising animals humanely and handling of animals that have died
- maintain animal records
- talk with the public and other staff.
A kennel hand receives dogs and cats from their owners, tags them for identification, then exercises, feeds and grooms them.
A pet groomer washes, dries, brushes, combs, cuts and styles pets' coats, and cares for their nails, ears, eyes and skin. They may specialise in creative special dye work and imaginative themes to enter competitions, or prepare purebred dogs and cats for shows.
Pet Shop Attendant
A pet shop attendant sells pet food and accessories as well as animals to customers.
Working conditions vary depending on the place of work. Some attendants have to work on weekends and public holidays. Many work outdoors. Considerable contact with the public is involved when accepting donations and lost or unwanted animals, and when selling or adopting animals.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good communication skills and enjoy working with people
- mature and responsible
- able to work well in a team
- free from allergies aggravated by animal hair, fur, feathers and dust
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job, undertaking manual and sometimes heavy work
- able to handle animals with confidence and patience
- interested in animals and their welfare
- observant and methodical.
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: