Accounts clerks record and put together summaries of the financial transactions of a business or other organisation for management purposes.
Accounts clerks may perform the following tasks:
- receive and record invoices and arrange payment
- prepare and send invoices to debtors
- check and process loan applications
- calculate and distribute wages and salaries
- prepare regular reports and summaries of accounting activities
- prepare financial statements and debtors' listings
- check customers' credit ratings
- verify recorded transactions and report irregularities to management
- prepare reconciliations of accounts.
BAS (Business Activity Statement) Agent
A bas (business activity statement) agent prepares the books and records of a business to assist in the completion of BAS obligations, including payroll obligations. BAS agents prepare and lodge Business Activity Statements and provide advice relating to tax obligations.
A bookkeeper maintains and reconciles records of financial transactions (such as sales, wages and petty cash) and prepares regular statements showing receipts, payments and balances of accounts.
A collection officer keeps records of people who are behind in payments, prepares reports of loans and accounts that have amounts owing and forwards on reports for legal action.
A costing clerk calculates and investigates wages, materials, overheads and other operating costs.
A payroll clerk calculates, prepares and distributes wages, taking into account overtime and deductions such as tax, the Medicare levy, health insurance payments and superannuation.
Accounts clerks' work is supervised by accountants and their client contact is usually by telephone.
In larger organisations, accounts clerks' duties are divided among a number of different positions.
- aptitude for figures
- well organised
- able to work as part of a team
- able to meet deadlines
- good communication skills
- aptitude for working with computers.
- Administrative Assistant
- Bank Officer
- Debt Collector
- Insurance Officer
- Strata Managing Agent
- Transport Clerk
Education and Training, Employment Opportunities and Additional Information
Select the State/Territory you are interested in: