State government assistance in Victoria

Youth Employment Scheme (YES)

YES provides employment opportunities for young people aged 15 to 24 who face barriers to employment, allowing them to gain qualifications and practical experience through traineeships and apprenticeships in the Victorian public sector. For further information about YES, go to the ‘Employment Start Up’ page on the Youth Central website at

Transition support for students with disability

The transition from school to adult life presents young people with disability with a range of opportunities and challenges. To support young people with disability leaving school, the Department of Human Services (DHS) funds transition planners to provide specialist advice and assistance.

Transition planners work with young people with disability to continue to develop their understanding of the post-school options that they will have commenced learning about at school via the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) Careers Action Planning scheme.

DHS supports young people with disability to transition to post-school options via two initiatives:

  • Futures for Young Adults (FFYA)
  • Transition to Employment (TTE)

Futures for Young Adults (FFYA)

FFYA is a time-limited program funded by DHS that provides young people with disability with information, advice and support for up to three years as they make the transition from school.

FFYA aims to give young people the best opportunity to make a successful transition to further education, social and employment outcomes, as well as assist young people to access services within their local community.

Transition to Employment (TTE)

The TTE initiative is part of the FFYA program. It is specifically designed to provide focused, time-limited assistance to young people with disability who are interested in pursuing employment but are not yet ready to move into employment or receive assistance through a Commonwealth employment program.

TTE is focused on supporting this group of young people for up to two years to build the skills, capacity and work experience to facilitate entry into the paid workforce.

TTE aims to:

  • support young people with disability to develop work and industry-related skills and qualifications
  • improve access to employment opportunities for young people with disability
  • increase the participation rates of young people with disability in the workforce
  • build the capacity of young people with disability to independently participate in the community.

To be eligible for FFYA or TTE-funded support, a young person must be:

  • a permanent resident of Victoria
  • 18 years of age before 31 December in the year that they leave school
  • currently receiving support through the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development's Program for Students with a Disability or the equivalent in the Catholic or independent school sectors.

For further information about FFYA or TTE, contact the Disability Information and Support Service on 1800 783 783 (TTY 13 36 77 and ask for 1300 650 172) or visit the website at

Course information

TAFE and Training Course Directory

Victorian TAFE institutes offer more than 1800 courses, ranging from accountancy to youth work.

The 2013 TAFE and Training Course Directory Victoria can help you to make the right choices by giving you an up-to-date listing of TAFE courses on offer across Victoria, as well as information about TAFE and Registered Training Organisations. For more information, call the TAFE and Training Line on 13 18 23 or visit

Assessment of overseas school qualifications

Assessment of overseas secondary school qualifications up to the equivalent of Victorian Government schools’ Year 10 is completed by schools. Speak to the principal or year level coordinator of the school in which you are interested for more information.

The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) issues a Statement of Equivalent Qualification to people who have educational qualifications from overseas that are judged by the VCAA to be equivalent to completion of Year 11 or Year 12. For further details and application forms, contact the Student Records and Results Unit at 41 St Andrews Place, East Melbourne VIC 3002 or by phone on (03) 9651 4300. The VCAA may also assess overseas secondary school qualifications considered equivalent to Year 10, but does not assess qualifications above Year 12 level.

Assistance for young people

Youth Central

Youth Central is the Victorian Government’s website for young people aged 12 to 25. It provides a range of information on jobs, study, travel, money and relationships, as well as opportunities for young people to get their work published. Further information can be found at

Back to top